HOw do we operate?
The Purpose of the Association of Professors of Social Work (APSW) is the promotion and development of social work education and research in the UK.
This purpose is to be achieved through such means as the following:
- An annual meeting of members
- Provision of a UK wide forum on social work for Professors
- Advising institutions engaged in social work education and research
- Representing the interests and development of social work to Governments, the media and relevant national, UK and international bodies
- Initiation and continued development of social work research.
- Enhance the impact of social work research through the collection and dissemination of relevant information.
The membership of the APSW shall comprise of Professors engaged in social work research and social work education. Members will pay an annual fee as determined by the annual meeting, paid in April of each year.
The annual meeting of the APSW is open for participation to all members. This meeting receives the reports of the President and the Treasurer. It will review and approve past and present activities and recommend priorities.
It will elect the President, Vice-President, and the Treasurer to act as an Executive Committee either at the annual meeting or by postal or electronic ballot. Members of the Executive shall be elected for a term of 3 years. Members of the Executive may serve no more than two consecutive terms. A member will be eligible for re-election after a period of 3 years out of office.
The Executive Committee shall serve as the governing body for APSW and shall be responsible for the development and implementation of the organization and ongoing work of the APSW and the management of its affairs.
The President is the official representative of the Association. S/he shall preside at meetings of the APSW; shall act as head of the Association in the direction of its business and in the enforcement of the Constitution; shall sign and execute in the name of the Association necessary contracts and other instruments and shall be responsible for their implementation.
The Vice-President: In the absence of the President, the Vice-President shall perform the functions of the chairperson, as agreed with her/him.
The Treasurer shall have such duties relating to the funds of the Association as may be specified by the Executive Committee and shall render an annual report on APSW finances to the annual meeting. S/he represents the Association in financial arrangements and shall serve as adviser to the Executive in banking, funding and other fiscal requirements.
The Executive Committee shall be empowered to act on behalf of the members.
The activities of the APSW are financed as follows:
- Membership is maintained by payment of fees in such amounts as may be determined by the Executive Committee. All fees must be paid annually. Membership is automatically terminated upon non-payment of dues at the appointed time each year.
- The President, Vice-President and Treasurer may charge necessary expenditures to conduct the affairs of the Association as approved in the budget.
- The fiscal year of the Association shall be April 1 through to March 31.
- The finances will normally be administered by the School of the Treasurer.
- The Executive Committee/annual meeting shall approve a budget every year.
Last updated: September 2020.